Setting up at the Bar
Other sections of our website provide detailed information about Coming to the Bar.
This section is designed as a “check-list” of items that you should consider in the process of setting up at the Bar.
- Application for membership of the WABA
- Application for Chambers
- Professional Indemnity Insurance
- Practising Certificate
(if you are coming from Government, you will need to apply to the Legal Practice Board (LPB) for a practising certificate. If you already hold a practising certificate, you need to request a ‘barrister only’ condition be imposed)
- Notify the Legal Practice Board (and, if you are a member, the Law Society) of your new practice details
- Announcement to the Supreme Court
- Sign the WABA Roll
- ATO requirements (ABN/GST)
- Insurance (Income Protection/Life Insurance)
- Accountant/Accounting Package
- IT Support
- Furniture, equipment and stationery
Click here to download our WABA Prospective Members’ Guide.