Joy practices in most areas of commercial litigation and dispute resolution, with a particular focus on:
- insurance coverage disputes;
- professional liability;
- ACL claims (misleading and deceptive conduct, unconscionable conduct and consumer guarantees);
- property damage and business interruption;
- contractual disputes;
- building and construction disputes;
- professional disciplinary actions;
- regulatory investigations (ASIC, CCC, Consumer Protection, and Royal Commissions); and
- WorkSafe prosecutions.
Before being called to the Bar, Joy spent 18 years in private practice at boutique insurance and national firms, almost half of which was as Special Counsel. Most of Joy’s experience relates to disputes of significant complexity, sensitivity or value (of up to $350 million).
In addition to advocacy work, Joy regularly advises clients on statutory and contract interpretation, particularly relating to indemnity under insurance contracts, principal’s extensions in statutory insurance, and contractual liability clauses.
Joy has served on the committee of Women Lawyers WA and is a committee member of the WA branch of Australian Professional Indemnity Group.
Joy accepts briefs for advice and advocacy work, including some direct briefs.